Trip done Memory Lane 1928   26/03/2020

A trip down memory lane and where it all began:

In late 1928, the present Watergrasshill club was formed. It catered for both hurling and football. The first meeting was held in the band room across from the church. Simon Cotter was elected Chairman, John Sheehan as Secretary and Pat Scannell as Treasurer. A collection for a set of jerseys was taken up at the meeting. The first game of the newly formed Watergrasshill Club was a minor hurling challenge against Bride Rovers in Bartlemy. It was historic moment for the club. It would be the early thirties before the club would participate in the East Cork competitions and 1947 when the club wins its first East Cork title, defeating Dooneen Rovers (Lisgoold) in the final at Rathcormac on 26th October. The Hill had contested the final in 1945 and 1946 so this was a special win. On the celebrations, Donal O Callaghan, a member of that team recalls “We got a barrel of porter from John McHugh and we rolled it down to the hall. The barrel was dry when any late arrivals came”

Image may contain: 7 people


Club Lotto